Monday, March 7, 2011

Green is good

March is making me smile. Something about the spring that awakens my inner self. I think it is because I have so much Irish in me. I know I know everyone is some sort of Irish come around March time. I really am, Google Burkley. Speaking of, have you ever Googled or researched your last name? I did and found some rather interesting things out about Burkley. It is finally getting darker later, so I can enjoy more daylight.  There is nothing more depressing to me than getting off work, going home and it is dark outside. Time change is around the corner.

I am already planning away our summer and getting ready to get moving on the vacation to come. I have become addicted to getting involved in the community and finding all sorts of different things to do. I am so thankful that Jason is a trooper and doesn’t mind going with me. He has even found himself really enjoying some of the things we have done.

I am not sure which event started the trend, but I knew I better start writing about them before they all got ahead of me. Jason signed us for the Dash Down Greenville 5K. I have always wanted to do this, so I got very excited. I started looking at the website and found out that they were also hosting “fun runs” each week to help motivate people to get ready for the March 12th DDG. They have themes that go with the weekly runs as well. I have enjoyed this tremendously. The first few weeks were canceled due to the bad weather.

Our first one was the Red Light Run. Wear red if you are taken, yellow if it is complicated and green if you are single. FREE EVENT


The second week was a Prediction Run. We just had to predict how long it was going to take us to complete our run. I predicted 27 minutes, Jason 28 and our actual time was 28:40. It was funny how wore out we were. We felt like we went so fast. It is hard for me to remember what it was like to run that in 13 minutes back in my cross country days and him in his army time. Youth is such a beautiful thing. FREE EVENT

Third week was Mardi Gras Run. This was great practice for getting us ready to be able to wear stuff while running. Jason wasn’t feeling well, so we didn’t push ourselves. It was kind of nice just enjoying the walk/jog/run. Next week will be the last one and hopefully we can make some good timing. I will be covered in green in head to toe thanks to J’s mom. FREE EVENT


We made our way over to this restaurant called Smoke at The Belmont Hotel on a school night (this is huge for me) for a FREE event they were hosting to get people to vote for a local Chef Tim Byres. Monica and Meredith joined us. We had some great BBQ, Oysters and Potato Salad. Most importantly he won!
FREE EVENT



I read in one of the local magazines about the Dallas Contemporary Art Museum and how Sour Grapes was going to be on display and we could go see it for FREE. I had seen these artist month’s earlier on the news and have wanted to see the graffiti art they do. We had so much fun taking pictures and looking at everything.
FREE EVENT



These Free events are turning out pretty swell. I also found out about Penguin Days at the Dallas Zoo. We could go for 5.00 a piece instead of 15.00. It was crazy crowded and maybe we should have taken as many pictures of the people as we did the animals. They were kind of one in the same. It was beautiful weather and we couldn’t have asked for a better day. More than 1/2 Price Off



We have lots of things added to the list for Spring and Summer. I can’t wait to see and share all of them. Here are just a few!
      The Dallas Arboretum ( I have never been )
      The Dallas Museum of Art (J has a school project)
      Warrior Dash (3.24 hellish miles)
      Texas Theater (My first independent film – TY Groupon)
      Chelsea Handler Comedy show (Verizon Thearter)

Personal Note: The past few months have handed me a lot of heartache and a few hills have now managed to grow in to mountains. I know I am not remotely close to getting to the top, but I do know there are a few more philosophies I have acquired to help me get there.  

As morbid as it may sound I have learned that when people say negative things to me or act out in a manner that causes me to question who I am as a person I say to myself…. How many people will be at their funeral and or wedding compared to mine? If I can clearly see there will be many more at mine than there’s; I instantly flush out any questioning of who I am.
I have learned that it is vital to care less about things that you can’t change. Getting all upset/angry/frustrated is only going to bring you down.

I solely focus on being happy and taking every day to the fullest and the fullest being what I choose it to be. I make sure I am completely okay if it was my last day on this earth and firmly believing that life is too short to not spend it being happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment